Mon 1 Jun 2009
Originally created to mock the National Day of Prayer, the heavy metal holiday International Day of Slayer has gained momentum. The people behind it have sent Slayer CDs to the White House, demanded national recognition from politicians, and even received a reply from Slayer themselves.
The holiday is on, folks, and it’s June 6, starting at 6:00 AM (get it? 6/6:6). You and your friends who like Slayer need to stage a “Slay-in” all day. Don’t go to work, listen to Slayer. If you didn’t have to go to work, don’t do any work, listen to Slayer. It’s a holiday.
From the International Day of Slayer website:
Who is Slayer
Slayer is a band from California. Their music has come to epitomize Satanic speed metal music in the latter half of the 20th century. Their 1986 album, “Reign in Blood” is one of the single most influential metal albums of all time, typified by the modern classic “Angel of Death”.
How to Celebrate
* Listen to Slayer at full blast in your car.
* Listen to Slayer at full blast in your home.
* Listen to Slayer at full blast at your place of employment.
* Listen to Slayer at full blast in any public place you prefer.
DO NOT use headphones! The objective of this day is for everyone within earshot to understand that it is the National Day of Slayer. National holidays in America aren’t just about celebrating; they’re about forcing it upon non-participants.
Taking that participation to a problematic level
* Stage a “Slay-out.” Don’t go to work. Listen to Slayer.
* Have a huge block party that clogs up a street in your neighborhood. Blast Slayer albums all evening. Get police cruisers and helicopters on the scene. Finish with a full-scale riot.
* Spray paint Slayer logos on churches, synagogues, or cemeteries.
* Play Slayer covers with your own band (since 99% of your riffs are stolen from Slayer anyway).
* Kill the neighbor’s dog and blame it on Slayer.
We’re going to have a Slay-in at a local establishment — all day. Keep your eyes peeled.