Sat 29 Sep 2012
By popular demand, for Houston.pm‘s October meeting Erin Schönhals will be presenting some small examples from a bag of tricks useful for taking on a number of file manipulation tasks, more specifically those suited to manipulating human readable text.
Such tricks include but are not limited to:
- Quick and easy recursive file operations
- Editing files in-place; or, a better alternative
- A blurb on ispell and Lingua::Spelling::Alternative
- Some notes on Template::Toolkit
- Handling errors gracefully in the midst of a large pile of work
- Mass renaming of files; good for managing media collections!
Slides and example code will be made available online after the meeting. Each example will be introduced with enough explanation to help grasp the most important moving pieces. Plenty of room will be left over at the end of the presentation for Q&A. Hopefully the keen attendee will be able to string these methods together with confidence.
- Meet at 3131 W. Alabama St. between 6:40pm and 7pm.
- Gather in the lobby on top of the parking garage
- At 7pm, we go to the presentation site.